Alarm systems are no longer simply the first line of protection for burglaries. Many safety-related features have been added to the main alarm system like carbon monoxide (CO) detectors, smoke detectors and flood detectors for high-risk areas. Even low-temperature sensors are available which will alert the alarm company if the temperature within a home drops below a preset level. There is also more sophisticated equipment such as closed circuit television (CCTV), and video cameras connected directly to an Apple TV or Alexa which provide additional surveillance.
Choosing the Right Alarm Company
With hundreds of companies and plans to cull through, choosing the right alarm company can often be overwhelming. Fortunately, the NBFAA offers help and a checklist on choosing the right system for you and your family. Not all alarm companies are created equal. When interviewing different home alarm companies in North Carolina, make sure to follow these simple steps:
- Make sure the alarm company is licensed in the state.
- Ask if pre-employment screening is done on all their employees such as background checks.
- Ask the salesperson for a free security inspection and system recommendations.
- Get a written estimate for the entire system including monthly monitoring fees.
- Compare similar systems and pricing.
- Determine if you will own the system or lease it from the alarm company.
- Make sure your system will be monitored around the clock (24/7) by the central station.
- Negotiate. Most alarm companies will negotiate on system add-ons, providing a free motion detector, additional keypads or even a one-month free monitoring service.
- Make sure the system you choose is equipped with a battery for backup power.
Once your system is installed, choose a user-friendly code that everyone in the family can remember. Let your insurance agent know that your home is being monitored, and additional insurance discounts may be available. Check to see if your municipality requires homeowners with security alarms to register with the local police department.
About Down East Protection
Monitored alarm systems are one of the best investments a homeowner can make. Not only does it provide security but it can provide safety-nets. For more information on how an alarm system can improve the value of your home and increase the safety and peace of mind for you and your entire family call Down East Protection Systems today.